Did you know that the heart is the hardest working muscle in the body? It moves 5 quarts of blood through the in all parts of your body and bring it back to your heart.
There is a great reflexology point on the hand that will help improve the circulation in the body and bring about a sense of relaxation and stress reduction, allowing the blood vessels to remain more flexible for easier blood flow.
Look at the palm of your hand. About 1 inch down from the space between the index finger and middle finger is a reflex point for the heart area. The reflex extends to the edge of the hand. Use your thumb on the other hand to press on this area for about 10 seconds. This may be a sore area, so press on the sorest spot in that area. After 10 seconds, release the pressure and repeat this sequence three times. After you have pressed the area three times, gently rub your hands together, with some nice lotion, to help the reflex work.
This can be done several times a day, and is only one component towards overall heart health.
Here are some more tips:
- Know your numbers: get your blood pressure checked regularly (we will do this for you anytime!).
- Eat well: you know what’s good for you…..fish, lean and grass-fed meats, vegetables, nuts in moderation. Reduce salt and fat intake and stay hydrated.
- Have fun: be creative, laugh, listen and dance to music; smile and the world will smile at you! Take up a new hobby or re-immerse yourself in a new one: knitting, crocheting, woodworking or coloring mandalas.
- Move: take a brisk walk, lift weights, stretch, do yoga or go on a hike.
- Unplug: turn off your cell phone and computer and spend some time outdoors and explore new things.
Happy Exercising & Reflexing!